There are plenty of times when it would be nice to be able to give other drivers a piece of your mind, or let them know you're having car trouble so they go around instead of riding your bumper.
While there are several gestures that can certainly get the point across, none of them are quite as effective as this rear-window LED marquee.
Robert Dunn of DunnRight Software used an Arduino ADK connected to a trailer light hookup using optocouplers as seen in the circuit diagram below. It receives input from the turn signals and lights and only turns on when the lights are in use because it doesn't have very high visibility during the day.
Robert hand soldered a matrix of 480 LEDs, making the grid sparse so that he could still see through the rear window.
Using the ADK, he can send messages to the cars behind him, and during normal driving, the marquee advertises his personal website's URL.
Check out the videos to see demos of the turn signals and custom messages.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades